Das Forum von www.DRZ400S.de
Aktuelle Zeit: 20.04.2024 16:53

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Newcomer
BeitragVerfasst: 17.03.2005 23:28 
DRZ-Junior

Hi there!

sorry for writing English - unfortunately I don't speak any German :( I just become an owner of '01 DR-Z 400S. Feel completely happy :) My first bike - realy cool. The only problem is that it looks like previous owner did not change rear tyre for rather long time :cry: So i have to change it before the riding season begins here in Moskau. So the question which I'd like to ask you is what tyre should be the best choice if:
1. On/Off road riding is 75/25 % (so mostly it's Tarmac)
2. Maximum speed is about 100-110 km/h (if it any affects).

Thank you in advance,
Alexander

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 18.03.2005 01:03 

Dear Alexander,

welcome in the DRZ forum. :D

I also ride my DRZ 75% on and 25% offroad. I use the
TKC 80 tyre from Continental (75 Euro each in germany).
The disadvantage is only on sludge ground.

The normal max. speed is 140km/h. There is no problem to
reach max. speed.

Regards,
Gunther

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 18.03.2005 01:34 
DRZ-Platinuser

Hi Largo,

welcome to our forum, great you found us! What's the weather like in Moskau? Already warm enough to go riding? ;-)

Concerning your question: I have practical experience with these two "allround tyres":

- Pirelli MT21 Rallyecross

This tyre has pretty wide blocks which gives it a very good grip on tarmac.
Offroad it is good for hard ground and very good for sand. Thick mud is a problem for this tyre.
On gravel the front wheel tends to slip easily when driving a curve.
When the tyre is brand new it seems to wear off really fast but after the blocks are reduced somewhat in hight the abrasion slows down.

- Michelin T63

Offroad this tyre is better than the MT21.
Mud is also a problem, because the blocks aren't that high.
Onroad the MT21 offers more grip, although the rubber of the Michelin T63 is softer and wears off faster. It still offers enough grip on tarmac and has a very broad limit. It doesn't start to slip without warning.
When driving faster than 90km/h the front wheel can starts to sough. That doesn't influence anything, but it can be quite annoying.

Both tyres are good for more than 150km/h. The Michelin T63 starts to oscillate at about 120 km/h. With the MT21 I didn't go faster yet than 120km/h.

Ok, that was my very personal opinion. You know what they say: Ask two people about a tyre and you will get 4 different answers ;-)

See you
Theo

Jungs werden nie erwachsen - nur die Spielzeuge werden größer.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 18.03.2005 12:48 
DRZ-Junior

Guten Tag! (I'm working on my German :) )

Thank you, guys, for quick response. All of the tyres you've wote to me about look a wee extra "brutal" :) Though, all of 'em three have rather goodfeedback. But I still not sure I will seriously need these "knobs" or "blocks" on my way to work. So, after got acknowledged with Theo's theory about askings/answers functional dependence, I've just decided to run my "survey" from the another end (the "opposite" method). I've phoned some places here, where they sell tyres and found out that most "available" and less "brutal" (in my opinion only) are:

1. Michelin Sirac (a wee too more tarmac-oriented than needed)
Front - 3.00-21/ Rear - 120/80-18 (of a wee lower profile, as far as I got)

2. Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara (looks like just what I would like to get)
Front - 90/90-21/ Rear - 140/80-18

3. Bridgestone TW41 (front) and TW42 (rear) (is right after Metz on the "personal preferences list" (PPL) :)
Front - 80/100-21/ Rear - 120/90-18

Main concerns here are sizes. As a beginner I'm not quite sure about how will the bike react on wider tyres or tyres with a higher (than stock) profile. Thus, could you please share with your ideas about these 3 competitors.

2Theo: re Weather in Moscow
As we say here: "This spring the winter is very good" - January 'twas +4+7C :) and 'tis rather cold for the spring now, plenty of snow everywhere and 'tis gonna be colder (-14-16C) up to Monday next week, and by the end of the next week we'll return to "proper" -4C. So we hope by the end of March we'll finally see the ground :) BUT al this stuff DOES NOT affect on riding: every week-end me and couple of my friends are riding on small cross circuit right near Moscow since January. The coldest riding day was -19C (mid February): I nearly chilled my balls off :( just couldn't imagine the fuel tank could be THAT cold :) But we're still on track. with our... hm-m.. body parts safe :))

Ok, thank you once again, guys.
Speak to you soon,
Alexander

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 18.03.2005 19:39 
DRZ-Junior

Hello,
the TW42 is good on dry tarmac, but if it is wet, explicit on the back
rear it is very slippery. TW41/42 is the first tire on new bike in
germany and perhaps very long lasting. But almost every rider
here changes this original tire very fast.
I drive with Pirelli MT21 (almost good for 150 Km/h without any noise)
and think, it is my favorit tyre for 75% on road / 25% off road.
Do you looked even for MITAS (Barum) "Explorer"? This profile seems
the right choice for you.
Excuse my bad english.
Greetings to russia.
Thomas

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 18.03.2005 20:36 
DRZ-Junior

Hi there!

One more person's voted for Pirelli (or is it still Theo under cover) :) - thank you, Thomas. BTW, you don't have to appologize for your English, cause before you told me I believed we use Swedish here :) mean I'm not kinda expert in English either, so please pay no nevermind.
Ok if I find another ONE "pro" vote for MT21 here .... well maybe TWO "pro"s .... and no "contra"s appears in the thread.. I'll accept it as a fortune sign and buy Pirelli :)

Thank you very much!
Alexander

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 18.03.2005 20:42 
DRZ-Junior

AHA! You can see much more things when your eyes are opened :-) Jis' noticed the thread about MT21 - will read it attentively, so maybe it'll help me with my problem

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.03.2005 00:09 
DRZ-Power-User

I've had the M21 also, but didn't fell in love with it. Right now I went back to the Michelin Enduro Competition III.

I just ordered the Teraflex 150/90/18 in the USA and it is huge! The compound is specificly designed to 'tear and wear' slowly on rocky underground. On the other hand it will have an awsome grip in mud and ruts.

Story goes that this tire will 'hover' in ruts, because it's the wides tire anyone in an enduro will drive; it will not sink to the buttom of a rut, like all the other competitors will do :lol:

You may drive it at 0 bar because of its metal walls, so a flat tire will never stop you again. You may climb hills (they say) slowly like a tractor, it tracks like a trial tire.

I'll keep you posted on my experiences.

Take care,

Noppy

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.03.2005 16:22 
DRZ-Junior

Hi there!

I'm jis' back from the track: nice snowride and freshy -9C - superb, except maybe fair slight snowstorm :) And a wee after met with my father - he's jis' two days from Hamburg today, he said it was +17 in Ham.... lucky guys those Hamburgers :)

re Tires choice: another stupid question, but I'd like to ask'em all afore I find the question in empirical way :) Are there any obvious problems with using front and rear tyres of different manufacturers? (e/g/ Front Michelin Enduro Comp III , Rear Pirelli MT21 or vice versa)
And still didn't get answer on the following questions: of one puts the rear tire wider than stock one (how will it affect bike's "behaviour"?

Thank you very much,
Alexander

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]